Tuesday, 28 March 2017

Morris Hexathon - finally finished

After many months of hand sewing and a half a day of machine quilting, my Morris Hexathon quilt is finally finished.

As the quilt is backed with fleece with no batting I didn’t have to worry about quilting distances so given the complex piecing on the front, I decided to keep the quilting simple and just stitched around the hexagons. I went from edge to edge, crossing over at the points of each hexagon which meant there were no thread ends to bury.

There were 26 blocks in Barbara Brackman's original weekly series (which can be seen here). My layout required 32 blocks so I used the alternative block patterns where ones were provided and modified one or two others so all blocks are different. With the exception of three fat quarters bought for fussy cutting, all fabrics and the backing were from stash, though the size of my stash doesn't seem to have shrunk much.

I have enjoyed the slow progress of this quilt and having something available to hand stitch in the evenings or at Leeds MQG. Now I need to get myself sorted with my next slow stitching project and some more stash busting.

Quilt Details
Pattern: Morris Hexathon by Barbara Brackman
Finished size: Approximately 52" x 68"
Piecing: EPP
Quilting: Edge to edge straight line using Aurifil 40wt
Backing: Fleece
Batting: None

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. I’d like to be able to respond where appropriate - if you are a no-reply blogger, please leave an email address.